Grilled Orange Chicken
Grilling is my absolute favorite way to cook. If the weather is nice I’ll be on the porch making dinner. Chicken, burgers, steaks… all of them make me happy.
But I can tell you that this yummy Grilled Orange Chicken is about to go on regular rotation over here. It is so good.
The key to this phenomenal dish is the marinade. It’s mild so you’re not getting an overwhelming citrus flavor. Instead it’s light, bright, and screams of warm weather days with sunshine.
It’s all dairy free, gluten free, sugar free, and even Whole30 compliant.
Plus it’s so easy!
So many store-bought marinades rely on sugar to bring out the sweetness but not here, friends. Orange juice is plenty sweet on it’s own and the Coconut Aminos add a depth of flavor you’re going to love.
If you’re not familiar with Coconut Aminos you’re about to be. I’m a big fan. You will likely find it at your local grocery store (I don’t even need to go to a natural food store for mine) because it’s gaining in popularity. It’s made from coconut tree sap. It looks and tastes remarkably similar to soy sauce. Remarkably. But it’s better for you because it has far less sodium. If it sounds a little strange just try it and I bet you’ll be using it all the time.
To really make your chicken wow let it marinade for as long as possible. I like to let it work it’s magic for half a day and sometimes overnight. It’s not required and if you only have an hour do an hour. It’s still going to be delicious.
Serve this Grilled Orange Chicken with grilled vegetables or add it to the top of a citrus salad.
So grab yourself a glass of wine (or a LaCroix if you’re on Whole 30) and start grilling.
Grilled Orange Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1/8 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- orange zest from half an orange
- Add chicken breasts and all marinade ingredients to a gallon ziploc bag. Squeeze out excess air and zip closed. Lay flat, spreading the marinade inside the bag so that it's distributed evenly around the chicken breasts. Let marinade for a minimum of 1 hour. I prefer to let it marinade for several hours or overnight if possible.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Place your marinated chicken on the grill. Grill for 5-7 minutes, flip, and grill other side for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Cooking time varies depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Remove from the grill and serve!