Roasted Potato and Arugula Salad
This warm salad of tender roasted potatoes, fresh arugula, and creamy feta is a deliciously simple side. It’s a comforting addition to any meal.
Oftentimes side dishes can be a bit boring and just something added to a plate to round out that meal. This is not the case with this Roasted Potato and Arugula Salad, friend. It’s quite spectacular but oh so simple.
In this cozy side we stir warm roasted potatoes with fresh arugula and salty crumbled feta. The combination of flavors and textures with the brightness of lemon is just gastronomical magic in my humble opinion.
First we’ll roast the potatoes in olive or avocado oil and seasonings. Once they’re perfectly tender with some crispy edges we add leafy arugula, feta, and lemon juice. The arugula will wilt quickly thanks to the warmth of the potatoes. And then we’re done. It’s that easy.
Roasted Potato and Arugula Salad Ingredients
- Baby gold potatoes or baby dutch yellow potatoes: These potatoes are about the size of a golf ball and have a natural buttery flavor without any actual butter. Their small size means you only need to cut them into fourths (or halves if some are especially small). That makes our prep time even faster!
- Olive or avocado oil: A little oil helps these potatoes brown beautifully in the oven.
- Fresh arugula: Arugula is a slightly peppery leafy green. It’s delicious in soups, mixed with spinach in salads, and extra fantastic in this side.
- Crumbled feta: Feta adds a rich salty flavor and some creaminess to our side dish.
- Lemon juice: The bright flavor of lemon pairs beautifully with both the potatoes and the arugula.
- Dried herbs and seasonings: Dried basil, dried dill, garlic powder, salt, and pepper work together to give us lots of big flavor in every bite.
What potatoes are best to use?
I prefer baby gold or baby dutch yellow potatoes for this recipe because they have a natural buttery flavor (without any actual butter) and are the perfect size! You can use regular gold or yellow potatoes as well but you’ll need to cut them into 1-inch to 1.5-inch pieces.
How to Store Leftovers
This dish is best served immediately. However, if you have leftovers you’d like to save for later you can place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Roasted Potato and Arugula Salad
- 24 ounces baby gold potatoes or baby dutch yellow potatoes, 1½ pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 ounces fresh arugula
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut your potatoes into fourths by first slicing each potato in half lengthwise. Then slice each half horizontally.
- Add the potato pieces to a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle basil, dill, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Use a spatula to move the potatoes around in the oil and seasonings so that all get coated evenly. Then spread the potatoes into a single layer.
- Bake potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from oven. Stir the fresh arugula in with the potatoes. This will coat the leaves in any oil and seasonings remaining on the bottom of the pan. The arugula will wilt from the warmth of the potatoes right away. (You can also place the potatoes and arugula in the oven and bake for a minute or two, just enough so the arugula starts to wilt but isn't completely wilted. Then remove from the oven again.)
- Top the potatoes and arugula with crumbled feta and lemon juice. Stir. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if desired. Serve immediately.