Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
Name a food that’s more comforting than roasted chicken. I just don’t think there is one. This Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken is simple and flavorful. An absolute winning dish that’s going to make your kitchen smell like heaven.
When I’m roasting chicken I usually cook the whole chicken at one time (check out my Orange Herb Roasted Chicken with Potatoes) but we’re shaking it up. Actually we’re cutting it up. Roasting the chicken after butchering it ensures the meat will really absorb every bit of the glorious marinade. Oh and it’s glorious, friend.
Lemon, garlic, and plenty of fresh herbs. Basically all of my favorite things.
The finished product looks like a feast. You will seriously feel like Julia Child when you pull that baking sheet out of the oven. Bask in it. Let everyone rave about what a gifted chef you are. Act like it was incredibly hard to make. (It’s not.) You deserve all those accolades.
You can buy the chicken already cut up at the store if you prefer. But if you’re interested in butchering it yourself and haven’t done it before here’s a video that will help. It may feel intimidating but it’s surprisingly easy to do. Plus buying an entire chicken is such a money saver! I can buy a whole chicken for $6 to $8. That’s enough to feed 6 people!
If you do purchase your chicken already butchered you’ll likely find that you get 8 pieces. That means they’ve given you two breasts. Simply cut the breasts in half and then you’ll have ten total pieces.
Now let’s get cooking.
To make this you’ll want to lay your chicken pieces on a baking sheet. I use a smaller baking sheet so that all the marinade is forced to mingle with every piece of chicken. The one I go with is 9 x 13. (For perspective I use a 12 x 17 when I’m making sheet pan meals.) You’re more than welcome to use a larger one though.
In a small bowl combine all other ingredients and give them a quick stir. Then pour it over your chicken. Bake and you’re done! It’s so simple, right? But that finished product looks like you spent the entire day in the kitchen!
Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
- 1 chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into thin circles
- Optional: a little extra fresh herbs to add after baking
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread your chicken on a baking sheet (I use a 9 x 13 for this recipe but you can go bigger if that's what you have).
- Combine all other ingredients except the lemon slices together in a bowl. Give it a quick stir and pour over your chicken.
- Add your lemon slices to the baking sheet on top of and/or in between the chicken pieces.